Career Planner (Youth Division)
Position Title Effective April 26 2023
Career Planner, Youth Division (Fulltime)
This position recruits, counsels, trains, and places clients in vocational choices that lead to employment. Career planners assist in the advancement of skills, abilities, and interests of each client in order to attain an independent and self-sufficient lifestyle. This person will be assigned to the Youth Services Division and will be responsible for recruitment, assessment, case management, and placement of youth clients ages 14-24. Contribute to a healthy, safe, and inclusive work environment for all and support the agency equal opportunity and inclusion efforts.
This position reports to the Client Services Manager.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities that have been identified as being essential to this position include, but not limited to:
- Assesses preliminary information (e.g., client history, aptitudes, and interests & current labor market data) to prepare for smooth, open vocational counseling sessions with clients.
- Recognizes the need for further testing and provide access to that testing in order to lead clients to better vocational decisions.
- Facilitates assessments of aptitudes and interests, and interprets test results.
- Proficiently counsels eligible clients, in group and individual sessions, in order to develop realistic vocational goals that place clients in the labor market as quickly as possible.
- Maintains good working relationships with community resource agencies in order to facilitate clients’ ability to reach their vocational goals in employment.
- Designs, develops, organizes, and presents activities such as workshops, classes, on-the job-training, apprenticeships, and seminars in order to improve skill attainment and work performance.
- Participates as a member of a self-directed work team in planning activities and in the delivery of programs in order to insure comprehensive and integrated services to eligible clients.
- Develops professional skills through continuing education workshops and networking with other counseling professionals in order to remain current in practices, tools, materials, and data necessary to provide vocational counseling, as well as recommend training and professional needs of the team.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
The desired knowledge, skills, and abilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Bilingual abilities preferred in either Somali or Spanish. At minimum, the ability to understand and to make oneself understood to all Somali and/or Spanish speaking individuals. Prefer to be bilingual and able to read, write and speak.
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures related to career counseling and guidance.
- Ability to apply knowledge of the labor market to the background and experiences of clients.
- Ability to recruit new clients, using various techniques such as cold calling and developing business relationships.
- Ability to discuss sensitive issues and develop trusting relationships with clients.
- Knowledge of individual assessment and assessment tools.
- Ability to design, develop, organize, and administer training.
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients and team members.
- Knowledge of and skills in the use of computers and programs, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
Applicants must pass a criminal background check, be able to travel out of area independently (valid driver’s license required), and have either:
a) A bachelor’s degree in counseling, psychology, communications, or closely related field with two years’ experience in vocational counseling, working with youth, coordinating successful employment development plans, and/or in management.
b) Enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program, with the ability to work 30-40 hours a week.
c) 6+ years of progressive related experience beyond high school.
Priority will be given to applicants with extensive experience working with at-risk youth populations.
Responsibility for Public Contact
This position requires a moderate to high degree of public contact.
Involves working in an indoor office setting, may include off site meetings/events, possibly outside of regular business hours. This position requires a moderate to high degree of contact with the public, vendors, and employees. The employee will be expected to work with other employees to resolve issues, answer and ask questions. The employee may on occasion be required to work extended hours to complete a project. This position requires the employee to work as part of a team.
Career Solutions is an equal opportunity employer and service provider. Career Solutions is committed to creating an environment of inclusion where everyone is valued and has a sense of belonging. We work to confront and eliminate the barriers racism has created, and it earn the trust of our community to create a culture of accountability. We prioritize recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, and retention practices that reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
Based upon qualifications.
No applicant will be considered unless an official application is submitted. Applications can be found here: https://careersolutionsjobs.org/careers/application/
Applicants must submit required application, cover letter and resume. Please include salary requirements in the cover letter. The submit-able application can be found on the website – www.careersolutionsjobs.org. Cover letter and resume can be emailed to Kari.Court@csjobs.org.
Position will be posted until 8:00am on Monday, May 29, 2023, or until filled. For further information, please contact Kari Court at (320) 380-4938 or via email Kari.Court@csjobs.org.
Career Solutions is an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Career Solutions will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. If you need assistance with filling out or obtaining the required application, or if you need the application in an alternative format, please contact Career Solutions at (320) 308-5320.
The CareerForce St. Cloud does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, disability, or age.